Operational standards for small vessels
Small commercial vessels must follow certain codes of practice.
This applies to any vessel that:
- is less than 24 metres long
- is less than 150 gross tonnes and was built before 21st July 1968
- carries cargo and no more than 12 passengers
- provides a service where neither cargo or passengers are carried
- is a pilot boat of any size, eg a vessel that take pilots to and from larger ships
- isn’t considered a ‘pleasure vessel’
These are craft used solely for either:
- sport or recreation by their owners, family, friends or employees
- non-profit journeys
Pleasure vessels are exempt from the small commercial vessel codes of practice.