Maritime reporting

Anyone in charge of a ship must report any accidents or incidents.

This includes any:

  • collisions
  • breakdown
  • damage or structural failure
  • pollution

This applies to all:

  • operators
  • charterers
  • shipping agents
  • shippers of dangerous or polluting goods
  • port authorities
  • owners of traditional ships
  • managers, masters, pilots and ships’ officers
  • fishing vessel owners and operators of skippers
  • leisure craft

Consolidated European Reporting System

You must use the online Consolidated European Reporting System (CERS) to report accidents if your:

  • traditional ship or recreational craft is 45 metres long or more
  • ship is over 300 gross tonnage
  • vessel is carrying dangerous or polluting goods


Some ships are exempt from reporting in certain circumstances. The Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA) has detailed guidance onCERS exemptions

Dangerous goods, pollutants and other harmful substances

The MCA has more information on reporting the discharge of harmful substances into the sea.


Author: MixoBiz

Share This Post On