House in multiple occupation licence (Scotland)


Contact your council for a licence to rent out your property as a house in multiple occupation (HMO) in Scotland.

A house in multiple occupation is a property rented out by at least 3 (unrelated) people who share the bathroom or toilet and kitchen. It can also be known as a house share.


A licence usually lasts for 3 years.

You must renew your licence before it runs out.

If you run more than one HMO, you need a separate licence for each home.


You must provide the council with:

  • your details
  • details about the HMO, eg location, size
  • copies of your tenancy agreements
  • a gas safety certificate

The council may add other conditions to your licence, eg improving the standard of your facilities. They will let you know when you apply.

How to apply

Contact your council to request an HMO Licence.

You will have to pay a fee which is set by the council.

Once submitted, you must display a copy for of your application in a prominent place outside the HMO for 21 days.

Fines and penalties

If you fail to meet any of the conditions of your licence you could:

  • have your licence revoked
  • fined up to £10,000
  • be forced to fix any problems immediately, eg home improvements (your rent payments may be stopped until it’s done)

You can be fined up to £50,000 for renting out an unlicensed HMO.


Author: MixoBiz

Share This Post On