County court judgments for debt

1. Overview

You may get a county court judgment (CCJ) or high court judgment if someone takes court action against you (saying you owe them money) and you don’t respond.

You have 14 days to respond to the court claim.

If you get a judgment, this means that the court has formally decided that you owe the money.

The judgment will come in the post and will explain:

  • how much you owe
  • how to pay (in full or in instalments)
  • the deadline for paying
  • who to pay

Records of judgments are kept for 6 years unless you pay the full amount within a month – this can make it hard to get credit.

If you don’t owe the money, you can ask the court to cancel, or ‘set aside’, the judgment.

If you do owe the money, you should arrange to pay what you can afford.

If you get a judgment don’t ignore it – you could be taken back to court and forced to pay.

Court judgments for debt in Scotland

The law is different in Scotland – see guidance from the Accountant in Bankruptcy (Scotland’s insolvency service).

2. If you don’t owe the money – cancel the judgment

If you don’t owe the money, you can ask the court to cancel the county court judgment (CCJ) or high court judgment. This is known as getting the judgment ‘set aside’.

You can do this if you didn’t receive, or didn’t respond to, the original claim from the court saying you owed the money.

Apply to get the judgment set aside

To get a judgment set aside, fill in the application notice (N244),and send it to the court.

You may have to pay a court fee of £155.

You’ll have to go to a private hearing at the court to explain why you don’t owe the money.

If you don’t go to the hearing, your application will be rejected and you’ll have to pay the amount in the judgment.


Author: MixoBiz

Share This Post On